Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Queries and Rewirtes

I've distilled my query letter for LICT down to the bare essentials. I have a hook and a grab that I've vetted amongst friends and professionals. I think it's 99% there. I'll let it sit for another month while I do the next rewrite for LICT and then see what I think.

The interesting thing about perfecting my query letter before finishing all of the edits on LICT is how much insight it gave me into how I could make the novel tighter and more focused. Writing the query gave me a plot thread idea that would allow me to tie together the story with pizazz, drama, and interest (in a rather unique way if I might say so myself).

I rewrote the first 50 pages over the past 24 hours. I added ten pages of text as well. I think the new first chapter (prologue, actually) needs another rewrite, but the bare essentials are there and can be molded.

The most difficult portion of the novel for me has always been around page 40. Through the new plot thread I've been able to accomplish a rewrite of this section that not only makes the heroine's motivations more clear, but also explains some essential facts about the universe. This helps draw the reader in and makes them more of a part of the world.

I've also added several sections from the hero's point of view. Previously everything had been from the heroine's view point. Fleshing out these scenes from his vantage point has given me a greater understanding of who he is, and his motivations as well.

I'm continually amazed at how much I learn with each new writing project. Truly, it isn't magic. Writing is just like any other skill--every time you engage in it you sharpen already present abilities and build upon them with new ones. I wish I had figured this out a long time ago--say 20 years ago. Then this whole process wouldn't have taken me so long to become thoroughly engaged in. I would have trusted my abilities, or at least my ability to learn, and plodded ahead with greater determination in the past. In a way I'm glad it's not magic. Having a logical progression to follow--something concrete that doesn't involve guesswork makes being engaged in the creative process so much less scary and infinitely more fulfilling.

No comments: