Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Writing isn't magic?

When I started writing in my late teens I thought either you knew how to write or you didn't, as if it were some sort of magical talent some human beings were bestowed with and others weren't.

Over the years I have started and completed a number of works, most of which I secretly hoped were publishable, but knew weren't. It was frustrating to work on those pieces, watching my characters founder and gasp like fish out of water under my inept fingers.

I forged ahead after each failure and began to discover that with each new work in progress I learned something that helped me become a better writer with the next. Over time I realized writing wasn't magic at all. It was work. Fun work, but work nonetheless.

Even my ideas come from work, not out of nowhere or from some otherworldly muse. Yesterday someone asked me how I come up with my ideas. In thinking about the answer I realized my ideas come from a store of information I have gathered over the years. I love to watch science shows and read books on physics, especially quantum physics. I have read romance novels since I was eleven years old (I know the genre), and time travel stories (romance, science fiction, mystery, literature--I don't care which genre) call to me like sirens to sailors. I also studied feminist issues in college while obtaining my B.A. in English Literature. I read about history, England and the U.K. and I've traveled to London for pleasure.

All of these experiences and more give me the ingredients for the ideas in my novels, and I enjoy stirring them together to form new and tasty delights.

So, although I'm an incurable romantic who truly believes just about anything is possible, I believe the magic of writing lies in hard work, preparation, and dedication. The alchemy of these ingredients is a powerful potion I'll rely upon any day to get the job done. After all, muses are fickle. Wouldn't you rather be the in the driver's seat than twiddling your thumbs waiting for her to come around?

That being said, I suppose I had better get back on the job! Only 43k words to go in the current work in progress (WIP).

No comments: